- Flexible, strategic itineraries from a weekend getaway in Sarasota to a full week exploring Florida's west coast
- Honest advice for beach-goers, families, water sports enthusiasts, and more
- The best spots for outdoor adventures like kayaking, hiking, biking, bird-watching, and fishing
- The top sights and unique experiences: Discover the vibrant performing arts scene in Sarasota or stroll through quaint riverfront towns and secluded island enclaves. Unwind on shell-scattered beaches or head inland to explore palmetto prairies and swampy forests. Indulge at upscale restaurants in Naples, browse fine art galleries, or check out a local swamp buggy race. Work up an appetite by paddling the Great Calusa Blueway, kick back at a beachfront oyster bar, and sip a local brew as the sun sets over the ocean
- Expert advice from Florida native Jason Ferguson on where to stay, where to eat, and how to get around by car, bus, or boat
- Full-color photos and detailed maps throughout
- Handy tips for international visitors, seniors, LGBTQ+ travelers, and travelers with disabilities
- Background information on the landscape, wildlife, history, and culture
- Full coverage of Sarasota, Charlotte Harbor, Fort Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, the Barrier Islands, Naples, and the Everglades
About the Author
Florida native Jason Ferguson has yet to find a corner of his home state that doesn't hold some sort of surprise. With a background in alternative journalism and arts and culture reporting, Jason enjoys finding surprises and unusual sights in some of Florida's most well-traveled destinations. As a father, he certainly enjoys the pleasures of the beaches and outdoor opportunities, but also likes to dig deep into the nightlife, arts, and cultural scenes.
Jason has written for publications ranging from Time Out, Travel + Leisure, and Caribbean Travel & Life to Florida newspapers such as the Orlando Weekly and Miami New Times. He enjoys sniffing out the beauty of Florida's natural history as well as the oddness of its quirky present. He, his wife, and their kids utilize their home in Central Florida as a launching pad for weekend adventures that take them to points of interest throughout the state. Although their favorite spots change from week to week, there's a general consensus that the white-sand beaches of southwest Florida aren't just the best in the state, but are possibly some of the best in the world.